Tuesday, June 17, 2008

table and elevators

THE TABLE

At this stage I was a little worried because the table looked rather like an ironing board...

The completed table and chairs. I scaled it to Bryce and the sitting guy, not the 50-50-90 box (before, I already scaled these guys up to be as tall (standing) as the box but not as fat). Because... if I scaled to the UT box, the furniture would look really fat!

The table fuses Zhang Yin's ideas of power with simplicity and humility but quiet strength, as shown by the sturdy, stable wooden legs. While Versace's ideas of fashion, glamour and fame are represented by the more "showy" and widely spanning curving metallic legs. The transparent, flat table top and curving shapes represents class, femininity, and stability of these powerful figures.

DONATELLA'S ELEVATOR

The birdcage elevator is a simplified version of my elevator draft.

The birdcage represents Donatella's sense of responsibility (how she came into being the head of Versace after her brother's death, and, at one point, succumbed to the pressure). However, in the end she prevails and even flourishes. The birdcage elevator, however, is large with very widely spaced bars, so it doesn't feel claustrophobic. The curving forms also very open (see-through), symbolising the glamour and sexiness that is the trademark of Versace.

ZHANG YIN'S ELEVATOR
!!!!! I did one silly mistake! I imported my elevator to .ase alright but then I didn't save the sketchup model!! After I finish with absolutely everything, I will remodel it again. :(

I use a lot of timber material for Zhang Yin, because it's a natural material yet classy, representing her tree-hugging company and her down-to-earth nature. The structure starts with delicate on the legs and as you move up the wall curves and gets larger to finally support two interlocking forms of a roof. This represents her self-made riches, the potential and growth into stability and strength.

No comments: